How to Check WordPress Plugins for Malware

PedroNavp

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Hi everyone,

Lately, I've been a bit concerned about the security of my WordPress site, especially when it comes to the plugins I install. Plugins are essential for adding functionality, but I've read that some of them could be a security risk if not properly checked. 😬

So, I did some digging into how to inspect the plugins I download to make sure they’re free from malware or malicious code. I wanted to share a few tips and tricks I've found useful. If anyone else has more advice, please feel free to chime in!

1. Look for Obfuscated or base64 Encoded Code
One of the most common signs of a potentially malicious plugin is the use of obfuscated code (code that's scrambled or hidden to make it harder to read). A lot of the time, this is done through base64 encoding or hexadecimal encryption. You can search the plugin’s files for terms like base64_decode or other PHP functions related to dynamic code execution (eval(), gzuncompress(), str_rot13()). These are often used to mask malicious code. If you find something like this, proceed with caution and review the context of the code.

2. Use a Security Scanner
Manually reviewing code can be tricky, especially if you're not super familiar with PHP. To make things easier, you can use automated tools like Wordfence or Sucuri. These tools scan your plugins and other files for known malicious patterns and will notify you if they find anything suspicious. While not 100% foolproof, they’re a great starting point for quickly detecting threats.

3. Check the Plugin’s Source
This is a basic but crucial tip: always download plugins from trusted sources. The official WordPress plugin repository is your safest bet, as plugins there go through a review process before being approved. If you're downloading from third-party sites, make sure the site has a good reputation. If a plugin hasn’t been updated in a long time or has few ratings or downloads, it might be better to avoid it.

4. Inspect for Unnecessary Files
Another trick is to check if the plugin contains unnecessary files, like .zip, .rar, or random .php scripts that don’t seem to belong. Legitimate plugins tend to be clean and direct, while malicious ones often include extra files to hide malware.

I hope these tips help you keep your sites safe. If anyone has other methods for checking plugins,