Plugin Authentication

fadedout

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Hello all,

I have a question. I'm sort of new to prestashop and it's modules.

One thing I wonder about, if anyone already knows all about this: plugin authentication.

So, something like this:
I have noticed it a few times now on big/popular modules (smaller more basic ones just install w.out this message), it appears to 'communicate' with the dev's servers or something. I saw it say 'Authentication: OK' once on my online server, so I went to localhost, tried it offline (airplane mode) and it shows the error above.

I'm assuming what this means is, while installing on a online server (non-localhost), your server IP (not computer IP) is most likely being sent with activation. This means, the devs see either A) a nulled version of their plugin activated and/or B) it simply shows a module activated with no license. This I'm not sure, but I do assume it's most likely both.

Does any expert on this know for sure? I would really like to test some of these modules on my online dev site (not localhost), but I do not want to be 'activating' nulled things with my server IP going right to the devs saying "illegal! illegal!"...

And if it does do all that...does anyone have any idea of how stringent the presta devs are? Has anyone had 'shutdown' notices or anything sent to them from their host/server?

I'm not the type to simply get all this stuff for free then never buy it for actual use. I only wish to test these things out, then purchase them for production. Maybe as long as the modules aren't used that long or something they won't care?

Thanks in advanced all! This is kind of a heads-up for others that don't know about this as well and I'm wondering if anyone has run into problems using these...