Is joomla 5 worth it? debating on upgrading

mflaza

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
It should be no pain, like going from Joomla 4.1 to 4.2, for example but in reality only small and simple web sites goes painlessly from 4 to 5. They again promised one-click-migration and again made a screw up.

brother_doomsday

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Currently on J4 for most of my website, I had one in Joomla 5 for fun this summer... Well it was no fun at all... The main problem is some of the extensions are either outdated or no longer updated, so you might have to uninstall them and find something that is supported in Joomla 5, and that is not always possible.

For example a simple visitor counter, it took me 3 weeks to find a suitable replacement for Coala Web Traffic counter (J3) to install on an updated version of the website I was migrating to J4 and J5.

But J4 works like a charm and my customers are not to demanding, this summer I'll upgrade some of my older customers to J5 if most of the extensions follow the version. I guess its a waiting game.

Simpel

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash

"Sorry, your PHP version is not supported​

Your host needs to use PHP version 8.1.0 or newer to run this version of Joomla!"

I am running now 3 websites on joomla 5 with php 8.3.2. It's works great and fast!

dni150

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Обновился до Joomla 5. Имею несколько сайтов на разных хостах, везде без проблем. Активно использую SP Page Builder Pro 5.x , для Joomla 5 все работает. Переходил с Joomla 4.

Somewhere

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
At this time i guess it is time to update. It is easier now to update while is supported than you will be lift behind in many version then it is very hard to update. This is based on my experience dong the late update of Joomla 1.5 to 5.. I have so many steps to pass before i can update it to the latest update.

mflaza

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Seems to me like K2 won't even get J5, and we will be forced to convert all K2 to Joomla articles, together with all custom fields, images, categories. There are some components that do that, but it's all in early stages of development.

rgblogs

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I have migrated one big K2 website to Joomla articles with custom fields.

brusto

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I have upgraded to Joomla 5, but I have noticed no evident differences.

Simpel

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I run Joomla 5 on several sites with PHP 8.3.6 on Webmin, and I must say it works great and fast.

Rizzle

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
It seems to work very well on PHP 8.+ thanks

DigitalZa

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Same here - mostly using 4 - check 5 in the background for a few small non-eCommerce sites. So far so good but being ultra cautious for now

xaudiolap

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
For my cases (several sites), I updated Joomla 4 sites to Joomla 5, and nothing broke.

The only issue could be the requirement of mySQL 8, but if your hosting has it, then I think the next possible issue is the compatibility of the extensions.

mizerie

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Joomla! 5 is faster and better than 4 and 3 so upgrading is worth it. If the extensions you are using are not supported anymore by the developer, all the more reason of not using them.

artweb

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Of course that is worth.
Recently I migrated several websites to J5, and everything is working fine.